You just found out you are pregnant! Now what?!
Relax, enjoy the ride. There will be ups and downs, crying and laughing, nerves and anxiety. So be ready for this amazing journey we call PREGNANCY.
- First things first, if you haven't already, make an appointment with your doctor and start taking prenatal vitamins.
- Become part of a baby community site such as babycenter.com or whattoexpect.com. You will be able to communicate with other soon to be mothers that are experiencing the same changes as you. Your friends and family will also be a huge help during this time. Don't hesitate to get their opinions and advice (especially those who are mothers).
- Make sure you are eating healthy, staying hydrated and exercising (always check with your doctor to make sure your exercise routine is appropriate).
- Budget, Budget, Budget. Come up with a plan. Find out the cost of the hospital and doctor visits (your OBGYN may have a printout of these costs), furniture, diapers, other baby items you may not get at your shower, etc. I suggest you start buying diapers now, once a month. Like I said in my previous post, most stores will let you exchange diapers for a different size, so it's okay if you end up with too many of one size!
- Start a journal -- write in it as much as you can! You will love to look back at all of the emotions and experiences you went through while being pregnant. After my pregnancy, I made a photo journal book (I used shutterfly.com) with all of the photos and journal entries I made throughout my pregnancy. It's a book that will live on forever.
- Spend time with your other half! Once the baby is here, you will not be able to have that one on one time with your partner. Go on a babymoon or mini vacation.
- Discuss parenting methods with your partner. Make sure you are both on the same page before he/she arrives!
- Take it one day at a time, some days will be hard and some will amaze you. That first little kick will bring tears to your eyes. The first set of hiccups will make you giggle. Talk, sing, and dance with your little bean.
- Don't sweat the small stuff. Some things will seem like huge obstacles; hospital bills, daycare, baby shower, the sugar test! They will all work themselves out. The most important thing right now is the health of your baby, so don't stress!